Today’s recipe is Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry. It’s a chickpea or chole recipe that’s signature is its black color or dark hue. It can be served with steamed rice or puri. Chickpeas to mention, are a wonderful source of protein. It contains a lot of vitamins and minerals.Its good for bone health, diabetes, controlling blood pressure, cancer prevention.
I have made this Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry with chickpeas of small size (pundits chole). I soaked it in water for 12 hours and also added baking soda. Hence the chickpeas are soft and easily mash-able. Also black tea or tea liquor is to be used to get the typical black color. Anardana powder is also added to impart a typical sour taste to the chole. In absence of anar powder, you can put amchoor or dry mango powder. It’s all cooked in pressure cooker as well
Time required to cook Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry: 45 minutes
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To check the Home page, click here
Serves 6 – 8 people
Ingredients required to make Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry:
- 2 cups of kabuli chana or chickpea
- 2 onions – paste
- 2 tomatoes – pureed
- 16 cloves of garlic – 1 inch ginger : paste
- 3 green cardamom, 2 cinnamon sticks, 5 – 7 cloves
- Powdered spices mixture : 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1.5 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp anardana powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil or refined vegetable oil or ghee
- Kasuri methi or Powdered dry fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup black tea
- 6 – 7 green chillies – slitted
- Pinch of asafetida or hing
To find interesting Dal / Lentil recipes, please click here.
Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry recipe:
- Soak chickpeas or kabuli chana in water for 12 hours. Drain water
- In a pressure cooker, put chickpeas, water, turmeric powder, salt, baking powder and tea. Also add cinnamon, cardamom and clove. Close lid and pressure cooker on medium flame for 7 whistles or till the chickpeas are soft and mashable. Let steam settle on its own and then open the lid of the cooker
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and saute till the colour changes to brown
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute
- Add tomato puree and salt. Cook till oil starts to separate
- Add the Powdered spices and saute
- In the pressure cooker, also mash the chickpea a little with the back of a laddle
- Into the pressure cooker add the masala, green chillies and simmer for about 10 minutes or till the consistency is as desired
- Now add Kasuri methi on top and simmer for 2 more minutes
- Add hing and stir
Your Amritsari chole | Black spicy chickpea curry is ready to serve!
Recipes from the blog
Travelogue / Lifestyle