Ah! Can’t hold my joy since I succeeded in making Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf at first attempt. This was a dream come true. It is tasting so so good, that without wasting any of my time further I plan to jot down the method in a jiffy! Interestingly, since I had only 3 banana leaves and 6 fish fillets, I used a double layer of fish in each fish leaf parcels. Now that’s where the challenge was and that’s what gave me immense joy on the successful completion of my cooking experimentation! In bengali marriage ceremonies and other celebrations, Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf surely is a foodie’s delight! Now here goes the mouth watering recipe of bengali delicacy – Bhetki paturi !
Time to prepare and cook 6 Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf: 2 hours + 25 minutes
To find more Bengali recipes, please click here.
To find more Fish recipes, please click here.
Ingredients for Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf:
- 6 Bhetki fillets
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp of black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp of posto or poppy seeds
- Little turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup coconut – grated
- Mustard oil
- Green chillies – 3 – 6
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf recipe:
- Soak Mustard seeds of both kinds, poppy seeds in little water and add 1 tsp Mustard oil, salt, pinch of turmeric powder, green chillies in it
- After 1 hour or so, add grated coconut and the Mustard seed mixture in a grinder. Make a fine thick paste of it
- Now, take each banana leaf turn by turn and hold on to direct flame for 45 seconds approx to make it a bit soft. Keep separate
- Keep a leaf flat on a surface with its oily side facing us, grease with a tsp of oil at the centre of the leaf
- Add a portion of the Mustard mixture and spread in the centre
- Place a fillet over it now. Apply another coating of Mustard mixture and then another fish fillet on to the top
- Now coat on to the top with another layer of Mustard mixture
- Add a tsp of Mustard oil
- Now, take one part of the leaf at right and place on top of fish. Similarly hold another left end of the leaf and place on to the banana leaf. Fold upper and lower portions as well to make a fish parcel with the banana leaf
- Now, take a moist tooth pick or a moist wooden skewer and with it’s help seal the parcel. You can use strings as well to seal the parcel
- Make all the parcels ready and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Take it out later and let rest at room temperature for few minutes
- Now, I took a flat non-stick tawa and heat it. Grease with oil and place the 3 parcels on the tawa. Take a tight fitting lid and press it against the fish parcels. Let it cover cook for 10 minutes on a low – medium flame
- Open lid, turn the other side and put lid on it tightly. Cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- Switch off flame! Let it rest for some 15 – 20 minutes
Mouth watering Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf is all ready to be served!
SNAPSHOT OF ‘Bhetki paturi | Barramundi fish wrapped in banana leaf’: