Now that it’s rainy season here in Kolkata, you can see Centella asiatica or Thankuni pata in abundance across fields. What’s this thankuni pata by the way? Well it’s a medicinal herb that grows in wet lands. It’s used in the treatment of bacterial infections, cholera, Urinary tract disease, tuberculosis, and is also recommended for lactation. In a few cases though, adverse effect may include drowsiness and nausea. Focusing on its medicinal properties, I made Centella asiatica Fritters | Thankuni pata bora | Gotu kola fritters. I served it with dal and truly it was awesome. You can serve this beneficial herb in platter with this recipe. Check it out!
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To check the Home page, click here
Ingredients to make 6 Centella asiatica Fritters | Thankuni pata bora | Gotu kola fritters:
- 2 bunches of thankuni pata (small bunches)
- 2 – 3″green chillies – chopped
- 1 onion – sliced thinly
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Pinch of red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds
- 3 tbsp besan or gram flour or as required
- Refined vegetable oil or mustard oil ( I prefer cooking it in mustard oil )
To check a few bengali recipes, please click here
To check a few sweet dishes/dessert recipes, please click here
Centella asiatica Fritters | Thankuni pata bora | Gotu kola fritters recipe:
- Wash the Centella leaf bunches thoroughly in water
- Soak them in salt water for few minutes. It helps to remove the dirt attached to the leaves
- Now drain off water and wash again
- Take the leaves and chop off them
- In a bowl, add the chopped thankuni leaves, sliced onion, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, nigella seeds, besan. Add a little water and mix. The besan does the binding job to make the fritters
- Heat enough oil in a wok for deep frying. As per the refined oil is concerned, since we need deep frying in this recipe, I prefer using a low absorb oil. I use Sundrop heart for my cooking need (To see the product you may click here). Sundrop heart is enriched with the goodness of oryzanol and is made up of 80% Rice bran oil and 20% refined sunflower oil
- Add the mixture in small portions (forming balls) into the hot oil. Fry the fritters in batches so that there’s enough space to turn the fritters in the wok
- Deep fry them till golden brown on all sides
- Take them out of the pan and place on kitchen towels so that the extra oil is absorbed
The Centella asiatica Fritters | Thankuni pata bora | Gotu kola fritters are ready to serve now!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliated link of product which I personally prefer to use as well
Recipes from the blog
Travelogue / Lifestyle