Chickpea or Kabuli chana or Chole are nutritious and has been beneficial against diseases like Diabetes, Blood pressure and are good for bone health. They are a good sources of protein, carbohydrates and fibre. Chickpeas can be used to make Chane or Kabuli chana curry, which are generally served with bhature or puri. Find out my quick Chole recipe or chickpea curry recipe that I created and uses the’sambar masala powder’ readily available in the market. It is made in pressure cooker and hence can be treated as a quick recipe provided, you have soaked the chickpeas overnight before hand!
Total preparation time for Chole recipe or chickpea curry recipe: soaking time (over night) + 30 minutes
Ingredients for Chole recipe or chickpea curry recipe cooked for 3 people:
- Kabuli chana or chickpeas – 2 cups
- 1 tbsp Sambar masala powder readily available in the market
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp amchoor or dry mango powder or more (As per taste)
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander or dhaniya powder
- 1 big onion
- 1″ ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- Dry and crushed fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp oil
Chole recipe or chickpea curry recipe – The Method:
1. Soak 2 cups of chickpeas in water overnight
2. Drain water and keep aside
3. Make a paste of sambar masala powder, chilly powder, turmeric, amchoor, cumin and coriander powder
4. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add bay leaf, 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and let the crackle
5. Add a paste of 1 onion, 1 inch ginger and 6 cloves garlic and fry till oil separates
6. Add a paste of 1 tomato and cook till oil separates out
7. Add the masala or spices paste and cook
8. Add the chickpeas and stir
9. Add 6 cups water and 1 tsp salt or as per taste. Mix
10. Add crushed dried fenugreek leaves
11. Cover with lid and pressure cooker till 7 – 8 whistles. Switch off the flame
12. Open lid and serve hot
To find the recipe for Bhature please click here.
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Chole recipe or chickpea curry recipe.
To find more pressure cooker recipes, please click here.
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To find more bengali recipes, please click here.
To find more breakfast/snack recipes, please click here.
To find more dal recipes, please click here.