Chicken chaap is a mughlai dish and is a proud part of Awadhi cuisine. Chicken chaap is very popular in the streets of Kolkata. At almost every fast food joints, they do include Chicken chaap in their menu. Let us check an easy Chicken chaap recipe that we can try out at our home and make feast with family and friends along with chicken biryanis ! (To check the chicken biryani recipe, click here)
Preparation time/marination time for Chicken chaap recipe: 3 hours
Cooking time for Chicken chaap recipe: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken chaap recipe:
- 6 leg chicken pieces
- 2 onions
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1.5 inch ginger
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp melon seeds or charmagaj
- 1.5 tbsp of posto or khus khus or poppy seeds
- 1 tsp of shahi garam masala powder (mace, nutmeg, white and black pepper, white and black cumin, coriander, kashmiri mirch, red dry chilly, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves)
- ½ cup curd (beaten)
- ½ cup of milk
- A paste of ½ lemon juice, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp chilly powder
- ¼ cup mustard oil or refined oil (I have tried with less oil, original recipe calls for more usage of oil)
- 1 tsp of clarified butter or ghee
- Rose water – 1 tsp
- Kewra jal – 1tsp
Chicken chaap recipe – The Method:
- Make a ginger garlic paste of about 3 tsp
- Make onion paste
- Make tomato paste
- Marinate chicken for 3-4 hours with the turmeric paste mentioned above and 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- Heat oil and ghee in a non-stick kadai or wok
- Add only the chicken pieces and fry for 3-4 minutes on each sides and keep separate
- On the same kadai, put onion paste and fry till oil separates
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry
- Add tomato paste and fry till oil separates
- Now, add the rest of the marinates and stir
- Now add a paste of poppy seed, melon seed and stir till oil starts leaving from the sides
- Add curd and stir
- Add chicken pieces and stir for 3-4 minutes
- Add milk and stir for another 2-3 minutes
- Add garam masala
- Add 2 cups of water and cover cook in a low flame for about 1 hour from now. Add kewra and rose water as well Simmer
- After 1 hour check if the chicken pieces are cooked and gravy has thickened and oil has started to leave. And yes, it’s an achievement! Your chicken chaap is ready
Enjoy with chicken biryani and do call your friends for the feast! To find out the easy method of making chicken biryani, please click here.
Snapshot of Chicken chaap recipe:
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Chicken chaap recipe.
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To find more bengali recipes, please click here.
To find more chicken recipes, please click here.
To find more vegetable recipes, please click here.