Chicken chettinad recipe is derived right from the South Indian cuisine. This is extremely flavorful due to the presence of ground spices, curry leaves which are used to cook the chicken. So today let’s check out the Chicken chettinad recipe. During my stay in the south, in our office cafeteria this chicken dish was served in the combo meal everyday. That’s how, I fell in love with this preparation.
Total cooking time for Chicken chettinad recipe : 45 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken chettinad recipe cooked for 3 people:
1. 500 gms chicken pieces
2. 2 potatoes cut into halves
3. 1 onion sliced
4. 6 cloves of garlic and 1/2 ” ginger
5. 1 tomato chopped
6. 1/2 cup grated coconut
7. 1 tsp of poppy or khus khus or posto
8. 1 tsp fennel seeds or saunf or mouri
9. 1 tsp coriander seeds or dhaniya seeds
10. 1 tsp Jeera seeds or cumin seeds
11. 4 cloves or laung
12. 1 or 2 green cardamom or elaichi
13. 1 cinnamon stick or dalchini
14. Pinch of turmeric or haldi
15. 1 tsp of red chilly powder or lal mirch powder
16. 1 or 2 sprig of curry leaves
17. 4 peppercorns
18. 5 – 6 broken cashew nuts or kaju badam
19. 1 tsp of gram dal or channa
20. Coriander leaves or dhaniya patta
22. Mustard oil
Chicken chettinad recipe – The method:
1. Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, salt and red chilly powder. You may add lemon juice as well
2. Dry roast coconut, cashew, poppy, fennel, cumin, coriander, pepper corns. Fry some chana dal. In a grinder make a paste of dry roasted ingredients, Chana dal, ginger, garlic
4. Heat oil in a wok and add onion slices. Fry it till color is changed to brown
5. Add tomatoes and fry till oil separates
6. Add curry leaves
7. Add the ground spice paste made and fry
8. Add the chicken and potato pieces and coat them well
9. Add 3 cups of water and cover cook till chicken pieces and potatoes are cooked
10. Add coriander leaves and switch off the flame
Your Chicken chettinad is ready to serve with rice.
Snapshot of Chicken chettinad recipe:
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Chicken chettinad recipe.
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To find more South Indian recipes, please click here.
To find more breakfast/snack recipes, please click here.
To find more vegetable recipes, please click here.