To every bengalis who can cook, probably this Chingri machher malaikari recipe | Prawn in coconut gravy recipe is a recipe that they have hands on for sure. Bengalis are indeed fish lover and chingri being their favorite (though some may now start a Bangal-Ghoti debate of Hilsa being their favorite 😂). Chingris or prawns are extremely versatile since just dropping of a few of them in your dishes like, chalkumro(ashgourd), mocha(plantain flower), Lau (bottle gourd), chowmein or simply the fried rice, makes them all the more tasty and subtly aromatic. So here’s today’s Chingri machher malaikari recipe | Prawn in coconut gravy recipe for the beginners. Well, this is how we bengalis love our Chingris to be cooked. I would also request you to check another way of cooking prawn or shrimps but in Goan style.
Total cooking time for Chingri machher malaikari recipe | Prawn in coconut gravy recipe: 30 minutes
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To find more fish recipes, please click here.
Ingredients for Chingri machher malaikari recipe | Prawn in coconut gravy recipe cooked for 3 – 4 people:
- 12 – 13 big prawns ( 300 – 400 gms )
- 1 inch ginger – grated or paste
- 1/2 of medium coconut – scrapped and then a paste is made by adding a little water
- 4 – 5 green chillies
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder or jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or dhaniya powder
- Mustard oil or refined oil
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves or dhaniya patta
Chingri machher malaikari recipe | Prawn in coconut gravy recipe – The method:
- Marinate prawns with salt and turmeric powder for 10 minutes
- Shallow fry the prawns for 2 – 3 minutes and keep them aside
- Heat mustard oil in a wok
- Add ginger paste and stir till rawness disappears
- Add the coconut paste and stir for sometime
- Add cumin, coriander powder and stir till oil just starts to separate
- Add marinated prawns and coat masala well around them
- Add 1 – 2 cups of water and cover cook till prawns are almost cooked
- Sprinkle garam Masala powder and simmer till the gravy is of desired consistency
- Spread fresh chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 1 more minute. Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice!