It’s the Hilsa or Ilish season of the year and you must be getting too many Hilsas from the market. Every body likes the fish. But often the ladies of the house find it difficult to use the head part of the delicious fish. I have a nice recipe from the Bengali cuisine for you all which uses the head of the fish and that’s called Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao. Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao is made of rice and the head of Hilsa. Wonderfully fragrant owing to the usage of Hilsa, the gobindhobhog rice which is used to cook this Bengali delicacy adds more aroma and flavor to the dish.
Total time to cook Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao : 15 minutes
Serves 3 people
Ingredients for Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao :
- 3 head of Hilsa – cut into 2 halves
- 2 cups gobindobhog rice
- 2 onion – sliced
- Mustard oil
- 1 cup of cashew nuts and raisins
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies – broken by hand
- 1 tsp cumin and coriander powder each
- Garam masala powder (cardamom, cinnamon and clove)
Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao :
- Marinate the head of Hilsa with salt and turmeric powder. Then fry the fish heads thoroughly. Keep separate
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. Add onions. Wait till color changes to brown
- Add marinated and then fried fish pieces and stir
- Add gobindhobhog rice (washed and pre – soaked in water). Add cumin and coriander powder. Stir fry properly
- Add cashew nuts and pre – soaked raisins and stir
- Add about 1.5 to 2 cups of water and let the rice boil and get cooked. Once almost done, add green chillies, fresh coriander leaves, garam masala powder and stir
- Switch off the flame
Hilsa Muri ghonto | Hilsa fish pulao is ready to serve !
To follow India’s Global Kitchen Blog on facebook, please click here.
To follow India’s Global Kitchen Blog on Twitter, please click here.