Kerala chicken curry with coconut | Nadan kozhi curry is an extremely flavorful chicken curry. The recipe is originated from the land of back water ‘Kerala’. This goes well with steamed rice. It’s one of my favorite chicken preparation both in terms of cooking and eating !
To find more yummy chicken recipes, please click here.
To find more tummy South Indian recipes, please click here.
Total time required for Kerala chicken curry with coconut | Nadan kozhi curry : 40 minutes
Ingredients for Kerala chicken curry with coconut | | Nadan kozhi curry :
- Chicken – 700 gm curry cut
- 1 potato cut into 4 pieces
- 1.5 cups of grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri mirch
- 1 green chilly
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/ 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamom, 6 cloves
- Refined oil (coconut oil is used for this recipe in the southern part of India)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves or sweet neem leaves
- 2 onions – sliced thinly
- 7 – 8 garlic cloves – grated
- 1/2 inch ginger – grated
- 1 tomato – chopped
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Kerala chicken curry with coconut | Nadan kozhi curry recipe – The method:
- Marinate chicken pieces with salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, kashmiri mirch powder
- Dry roast 1 tsp of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, grated coconut. Add fennel, cumin, coriander powder and stir. Switch off flame and let the mixture cool down. Add little water and make a thick paste of the spices and coconut
- Heat oil in a wok, add onion slices and let it turn brown. Add green chilly
- Add ginger garlic and stir fry till rawness disappears
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir cook till tomatoes are mashed and oil starts to separate
- Add coconut paste and stir. Cook till oil starts to separate again
- Add marinated chicken, potatoes and cover cook till oil starts to separate with stirring occasionally
- Add 2 – 3 cups of water of cover cook till chicken pieces are soft and potatoes are cooked thoroughly
- In a tadka pan, heat oil, let some cumin seeds splutter, add curry leaves. The tadka is ready. Pour over the chicken curry. Stir. Switch off flame
Kerala chicken curry with coconut | Nadan kozhi curry is ready to serve !