Khatti dal with split pigeon pea lentil is an awesome recipe that I came across a recipe book of Lucknawi cuisine gharana. The Khatti dal is made with arhar dal also known as Toor dal or split pigeon pea lentil. These days I feel so ecstatic to find new wonderful rich recipes of dal. In our home, though we used to have plenty of dals and of a great variety indeed (masoor, moong, biuli, chola) but never knew that dal can be celebrated by itself until now that I read more and more of cook books. Coming back to my today’s recipe Khatti dal, it can be served with roti or rice. The soury taste is imparted by the tamarind pulp used. Just make it someday and ping me back. I tell you it’s awesome!
Time required to make Khatti dal: 30 minutes
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
To check the Home page, click here
Serves 4 – 6 people
Ingredients for Khatti dal :
- 1 cup split pigeon pea lentil or Toor dal or Arhar dal
- 2 tsp ginger – garlic – red chilli – green chilli paste
- Ghee or refined vegetable oil
- 1 onion – sliced thinly
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (Powdered cardamom, cinnamon, clove)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 cup tamarind pulp paste
- Salt to taste
Khatti dal recipe:
- Soak arhar dal or split pigeon pea lentil in water for 3 hours and drain off the water
- In a pressure cooker, add the dal, salt and pressure cook until dal is mushy. It took me some good 7 – 8 whistles to get the mushy texture
- Open lid of the cooker and add the tamarind pulp paste, water and let in come to a boil
- Meanwhile in another pan, heat oil or ghee. Temper it with curry leaves. Add onion slices and let it turn soft and pink. Add ginger garlic chilli paste. Stir. Add turmeric powder and garam masala powder as well. Stir cook till oil starts to release from sides of the pan
- Add the tadka over the dal and stir well. Let it simmer for a minute or two. Switch off flame.
Your Khatti dal is ready to serve!
Similar recipes from the blog…
Travelogue from the blog…