Kolhapuri chicken is a rich chicken dish which has its origin in the state of Maharashtra in India. Kolhapuri chicken is cooked in a gravy of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coconut and other ingredients. Let’s check the Kolhapuri chicken recipe.
Total cooking time of Kolhapuri chicken recipe: 45 minutes
Ingredients of Kolhapuri chicken recipe cooked for 3 people:
1. 6 chicken pieces of around 450 gms weight
2. 1 tsp turmeric powder or haldi
3. 1 tsp salt
4. 1 tsp chilly powder
5. 1/2 cup grated coconut
6. 1 tsp sesame seeds or til seeds
7. 1 tsp poppy seeds or khus khus or posto
8. 1/2 kashmiri mirch
9. 1 javitri or mace
10. 3/4 th tsp of cumin or jeera seeds
11. 3/4 th tsp of coriander seeds
12. 1 cinnamon stick or dalchini
13. 2 cardamoms or elaichi
14. 6 cloves or laung
15. 2 medium sized onions sliced
16. 8 garlic cloves
17. 1 inch ginger
18. 2 tbsp refined oil
19. 5 black peppercorns or kalo morich
Kolhapuri chicken recipe – The method:
1. Marinate chicken pieces with salt, chilly and turmeric powder for 30 minutes
2. Roast poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Dry roast mace, cumin, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, whole kashmiri mirch, black peppercorns
3. Take 1 tbsp of refined oil and heat in a non stick pan. Put the onion slices and fry till golden brown is its color
4. Add grated coconut and fry for 1 minute
5. Add roasted spices from step 2 and fry for sometime. Be mindful that the mixture does not get burnt! Take out the mixture in a grinder and make a paste of it along with ginger and garlic
6. Now take 1 tbsp of oil in the non-stick kadai and add the paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes or till oil separates out
7. Add chicken pieces and stir to coat the masala around chicken pieces well
8. Cover cook for 3-4 minutes
9. Open the lid and turn the side of the chickens and cover cook for another 2-3 minutes till the masala starts to get a little burnt
10. Add 3 cups of hot water and cover cook for 15-20 minutes on medium-high flame. Stir in between. Switch off the flame when the chicken is cooked
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice!
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Kolhapuri chicken recipe.
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To find more chicken recipes, please click here..
To find more vegetable recipes, please click here.
Snapshot of the Kolhapuri chicken recipe: