A plate of mutton cooked nicely can win your enemy’s heart too. It’s richness is its unique selling point. My ‘Mutton kosha recipe – Mutton-er jhal jhol ‘ is essentially a bengali ‘kosha mangsho’ with a little more ‘jhol’ so as to enjoy with a plate full of steamed rice.
Total cooking time for ‘Mutton kosha recipe – Mutton-er jhal jhol’ (Marination + Cooking time): 3 hr + 45 minutes
(You can reduce the marination time, depending on your time constraint. Remember, longer the marination time, longer the ingredients or spices are soaked into the main ingredients and the better the taste will be)
Ingredients for ‘Mutton kosha recipe – Mutton-er jhal jhol’ cooked for 5 people:
1. Mutton, curry cut – 1 kg
2. 4 potatoes cut into halves
3. Beaten Curd – 1/2 cup
4. Shahi garam masala powder (1/2 tsp shah jeera and jeera or cumin each, 4 cinnamon sticks, 4 cardamom, 7 cloves, 2 mace, little nutmeg, 5 black peppers, 1 red chilly dry, 1 tsp coriander seeds)
5. Onion – 4 large (paste)
6. 3 tsp Ginger garlic paste
7. 2 tsp turmeric powder
8. 2 tsp salt
9. Kashmiri Mirch – 1 tsp mixed in water
10. 1/2 lemon juice
11. 2 bay leaves
12. 1 tsp sugar
13. Mustard oil
14. 1 tsp chilly powder (adjust the quantity as per taste)
15. 1/2 tsp garam masala powder (Cardamom, cinnamon and clove)
Mutton kosha recipe – Mutton-er jhal jhol (Method):
1. Marinate mutton with lemon juice, turmeric, salt, chilly powder and curd for 3 hours preferably
2. Heat oil, fry potatoes and keep aside
3. In the same oil, add only mutton pieces from marinate and fry till oil separates (takes about 20 minutes)
4. Pour oil in pressure cooker, add sugar and bay leaf
5. Add the onion paste and a pinch of salt and wait till oil separates
6. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry
7. Add shahi garam masala powder paste, kashmiri mirch powder paste and wait till the paste releases oil. You can add normal garam masala powder instead of shahi garam masala as well
8. Add the fried mutton pieces and coat the masala well. Add the left over marinate and toss again
8. Now add hot water (4 cups), 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and pressure cook for 5 whistles. Open the lid, pour in bowl and serve with steamed rice.
Snapshots of ‘Mutton kosha recipe – Mutton-er jhal jhol ‘:
For more mutton recipes, please click here.
For more chicken recipes, please click here.
For more bengali recipes, please click here.
To follow/like us at facebook, please click here.