Panch mishalir torkari is a vegetarian dish of bengalis which is essentially made of 5 different seasonal vegetables with a tampering of 5 phoron (fennel, cumin, onion seeds, fenugreek seeds and randhuni). Here’s the Panch mishali sabji recipe | 5 vegetables – curry recipe. It’s nice to have with steamed rice and moong dal. It is a part of glorious traditional bengali cuisine.
Total cooking time for Panch mishali sabji | 5 vegetables – curry – 30 minutes
Ingredients for Panch mishali sabji | 5 vegetables – curry:
- 400 gm pumpkin or kumro or kaddu
- 1 potato or aloo
- 1 brinjal or begun
- 6 pointed gourd or parwal or potol
- 1/2 green or raw papaya
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 1 red dry chilly
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 1 tsp 5 phoron – can be procured from market ( fennel, cumin, onion seeds, fenugreek seeds and randhuni – a mixture of these whole spices )
Method for Panch mishali sabji | 5 vegetables – curry cooked for 3 people:
1. Take any 5 vegetables. Here, I have taken 400 gm pumpkin, 1 potato, 1 small brinjal, 6 pointed gourd (potol/ parwal), 1/2 of small green papaya and cut them into medium cubes of similar size
2. Heat oil in a wok and let 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp 5 phoron, 1 red dry chilly crackle
3. Add the cut vegetables and toss
4. Sprinkle over 1/2 tbsp of salt and cover cook
5. When vegetables start to get cooked half way, add a paste of powdered turmeric, coriander and cumin(1/2 tbsp each). Add water if needed. Adjust salt and you can add sugar, though I do not add any sugar and it tastes a bit sweet owing to the inclusion of pumpkins
6. Cover cook till vegetables are cooked thoroughly for sometime and then open lid and let the water dry up
7. Texture of the curry should be a bit mushy yet not mashed totally. So switch off flame and serve with steamed rice and moong dal!
Please leave your valuable comment here on the Panch mishali sabji | 5 vegetables – curry.
To Follow/Like us at facebook, please click here.
To find more bengali recipes, please click here.
To find more vegetable recipes, please click here.