Paneer makhani is a North Indian dish, which is made of cottage cheese (paneer) and a gravy of tomato, cashew and other powdered spices. Paneer makhani – Cottage cheese recipe here is an extremely easy and quick recipe. With very little time in hand, if you wish to cook something good for all, do try this recipe. It goes well with naan and roti.
Total time required for Paneer makhani – Cottage cheese recipe: 25 minutes
Serves 2 – 3 people
Ingredients for Paneer makhani – Cottage cheese recipe:
- Cottage cheese or paneer – 250 gms cut into cubes
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3/4 cup cashew nuts
- 7 cloves of garlic and 1 inch ginger – grated
- 1 tsp each of red chilli powder, kashmiri Mirch, coriander, cumin, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp garam masala powder ( made of cardamom, cinnamon & cloves )
- Dry and crushed fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi
Paneer makhani – Cottage cheese recipe – The method:
- Blanch the tomatoes and peel off the skin. In a blender add the tomatoes and cashew nuts and with little water added, make a paste
- Add butter in a wok. Add paneer pieces and fry them lightly till all sides are golden brown. Take them out and keep separate
- In heated butter, add the grated ginger and garlic and stir till brown
- Add tomato puree and stir. Add the powdered spices one by one and also salt and cook till oil starts to come out
- Now, add 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil
- Add paneer or the cottage cheese cubes and simmer till gravy reaches desired consistency. Add fresh cream and fenugreek leaves and simmer for 2 more minutes. Switch off flame
Serve hot with pulao, roti or naan!
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.