Peshawari Paneer is a wonderful creamy dish hailing from the Peshawari cuisine. It’s made of cottage cheese or paneer cooked in a gravy of curd / cream / milk and cashew nuts. The recipe below, is extremely easy and produces a flavorful, tasty and rich in texture dish. Let’s check how I cooked this wonderful Peshawari Paneer for my family!
Total time to make Peshawari Paneer : 20 minutes
Serves – 2 – 3 people
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Ingredients for Peshawari Paneer :
- 200 – 250 gms paneer or cottage cheese – cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup beaten curd or dahi
- 1/2 cup cashew nut or kaju – make a paste
- Refined oil / ghee
- Grind in a mortar or pestle – 1 cinnamon stick, 2 – 3 cardamom, 5 – 6 cloves, 15 white peppercorns, 1 red chilly
- A paste of 1 onion, 7- 8 cloves of garlic, 1 inch ginger, 1 tomato
- Crushed dry methi leaves or fenugreek leaves
For more Paneer/ Soy/ Mushroom recipes, please click here.
Peshawari Paneer Recipe – The method :
- Fry the paneer cubes on each sides. Keep separate
- Heat oil in a wok and pour onion, ginger, garlic, tomato paste. Stir and let oil separate
- Add paneer cubes and coat the masala well around them. Add a little water if required to prevent burning of the masala. Add the ground spices. Stir for sometime
- Add 1.5 cup of water and then pour into the wok, curd and cashew nut paste and stir well
- When the gravy comes to desired consistency, add crushed dry fenugreek or methi leaves. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Switch off flame
Your Peshawari Paneer is ready to serve! It is best enjoyed with Pulao or naan !