There’s numerous mouth watering dish of semolina or suji that can be cooked for a family breakfast. Earlier I had shared a bengali Jhal suji recipe in my blog. Today I am going to share the recipe for a South Indian cuisine inspired Semolina Upma | Suji Upma ! Semolina or suji based dishes are a wonderful dish owing to the fact that they are healthy and filling and keeps your children and family going through out the day!
Time to make Semolina Upma | Suji Upma : 15 minutes
To find more breakfast / snacks recipes, please click here.
Serves 3 people
To follow us on facebook, please click here.
To follow us on twitter, please click here.
Ingredients for making Semolina Upma | Suji Upma:
- About 1 cup semolina or suji
- About 1 tbsp of biuli dal
- Curry leaves – few
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Refined oil
- Veggies chopped – carrot, green beans, etc
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Chillies, tomatoes – chopped
- Tamarind water (optional as per taste)
Semolina Upma | Suji Upma Recipe:
- Wash and soak biuli dal in water for sometime ( 20 – 30 minutes at least ). Drain water
- Boil veggies like carrot, beans, peas for sometime. Drain water and keep them separate
- Dry roast semolina or suji till they are aromatic and start to turn brownish. Do not burn them!
- Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Put curry leaves. Add the soaked biuli dal and fry them till they turn a bit reddish
- Add boiled veggies, onion and chillies now and saute
- Add dry roasted suji or semolina, pinch of turmeric powder, salt to taste and stir for about 2 – 3 minutes
- Add about 2 cups of water and stir till the suji or semolina is cooked properly
- Switch off the flame and serve Semolina Upma | Suji Upma hot!
Please note: You can use tamarind water instead of plain water in the recipe to get a little sourness in the dish!