Dalia is nothing but broken wheat which is popular in North India. It’s healthy, tasty and can be made easily in no time. Hence it is a good option as a breakfast and evening snack for kids and a light dinner for weight watchers. And of course for babies above 9 months, it’s a great meal. Just make sure you add 3 – 4 more cups of water and instead of 6 whistles go for 10 to make sure it’s completely mashed. Add ghee instead of oil and lots of vegetables can be added as well to make it more wholesome.
Total preparation time for Broken wheat | Dalia with moong dal Recipe: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Broken wheat | Dalia with moong dal Recipe cooked for 2 people:
1. Dalia or broken wheat – 1 cup
2. Moong dal – 0.5 cup
3. 1 whole dry red chilly
4. 1/2 tsp Panch foron (a mixture of whole jeera, kalonji, saunf, radhuni, ajwain )
5. Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
6. Salt – 1/2 tsp
7. Refined Oil – 1 tsp
8. Bay leaf
Broken wheat | Dalia with moong dal Recipe – the Method:
1. Roast the broken wheat or dalia in pressure cooker and keep separate
2. Heat refined oil in pressure cooker, add chilly, bay leaf, panch foron and let all crackle
3. Add moong dal and fry
4. Add turmeric powder and salt
5. Add roasted dalia and stir till all are fried and golden color is seen inside the pot
6. Add 6-7 cups of water and cover with the lid. Remember, dalia will get dried up with time so adding more water will not harm until it’s ,you add too much of water that pressure cooker starts to spill water in the surrounding
7. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistle and switch off the flame. Let the pot stay untouched for another 10 minutes
Open the lid and smell the nutritious dalia. You can serve with a dollop of ghee or butter or pizza seasoning. I like it as it is though.
For more pressure cooker recipes, click here.
For more less oil recipes, click here.
For more one pot meal recipes, click here.